Delahaye Classic French Motor Cars

The origins of Delahaye as a foreign French auto maker and manufacturer lie in a firm set up as long ago remarkably, as 1845 to produce of all things brick-making machinery obviously not automobiles or even horse and buggy transportation equipment.
Emile Delahaye was at first a railway engineer who designed rolling stock for French as well as Belgium railroads. Yet he produced his first car of Used Car Sweet Spot German Daimler type in 1895, and two years later he moved his company from Tours to Paris, settling down to a variety of engineering projects.
The first of the shaft-driven cars arrived in 1907 and a V6 project (again a remarkable feat this early on in automobile history) in 1912. During the “Great War” – World War 1- the company itself produced a variety and range of items for the war effort. including vast quantities of rifles, stationary engines, gun parts and aircraft components. Yet after the war the company settled down to build somehow dull yet dependable and reliable cars (not always the case in the early day of the automotive industry). However at this point in the company’s history these were noted to be usually of a rather backward design and designs.
It was necessary to modernize the car line in a big way and manner and with the current range selling rather badly in very limited and restricted sales numbers the new design and designs were first shown publicly in 1933 at the Paris Auto Show. Not only did it have a light chassis layout, with independent front suspension, but there was a choice of 3.3 liter, six-cylinder engine or a related 2.1-liter “four” backed by the Cotal electro-magnetic gear box or alternatively a synchromesh change to choice. The short cut was made possible without what was considered at the time “enormous investment” because these engines and motors were directly developed from units already in production for the company’s commercial vehicles. Not only this but for the first time in years, the Delahaye car had coachwork with what might be called “eye appeal”, “eye candy” and later with the advent of American auto producer, General Motors, “styling”.
The larger six-cylinder car effectively was the prototype of the famous “135” series which would serve Delahaye until the end of the 1940s. This design might well have been said not to have done the job on its own, but this was uncertain because of 1935, the Delahaye outfit took over the financially ailing Delage concern. Delage it seemed had a very well established and well heeled clientele. Delage’s “elegance” was therefore handed to Delahaye, and thus helped to cause no less than a dramatic change and changes in their direction and later fortunes. It did not take much time until a “Superluxe” six cylinder car soon went to Monthlery to take 19 world and international class records, and when the same car won an Alpine Coupe in the rally of that name, the “Coupe des Alpes ” variant was christened.
The Delahaye production factories went to release a number of most noticeable automobiles of note. Among these were the “Competition” Type 1935 and the variant Output Of Automobile Industry Type 175S introduced post WW2 in 1948, which was effectively a 135 chassis with an upgraded engine and more modern Charbonneux styled coach working.
What ever happened to this well regarded auto line – that was so highly regarded among its auto buying clients? It’s all the same like in our current auto industry climate – the automotive industry was rationalizing and consolidating. The company was taken over by the firm”Hotchkiss” in 1954 whom in the end decided its expertise and for reasons of economy of scale – should focus entirely and exclusively on trucks only. This meant both the end and demise of the well regarded line of Delahaye car products.

READ  4 Great Places That You Can Sell Your Classic Car Fast